The episode started with my attempt to experiment setting up Android development environment on Linux because i want to blog about it. I had to surf to Sun website to download JRE. That’s when the problem is discovered.
I virtualized Ubuntu on my lappy using Virtualbox. I set up Mono here to learn C#. Originally installed 8.04 Hardy Heron. Upgraded it to 8.10, then 9.04 and finally to Karmic Koala. All along i didn’t see the problem. Until 2 days ago. I launched firefox and notice that the page cannot be loaded properly. There’s no texts! I can only see graphics. The top panel on the google page where i normally see the links for email, documents, etc, were all replaced by blue lines.
I thought it is the problem with firefox. So i re-install it. However, it still looks the same. And i tried a few more times. I still can’t get the google page to load correctly. I conclude the problem does not lie on firefox but in the OS when i can reproduce the same issue using another browser. I tried installing some packages which i think could resolve the issue but the only thing i achieve is more issues! The platform slowed down significantly and I have my favourites reside permanently on my desktop. That’s it! I totally screw up the OS.
I don’t want to spend my time troubleshooting. I backup my mono tutorial projects and then restore the fresh ubuntu. That’s the good thing about virtualization. I can fall back to original state when i screw up the OS. Now I am back to 8.04 and in the process of upgrading to 8.10. It’s a long journey to Lucid Lynx. I will check the firefox at every version. Must identify when the browser issue started.
It is not all bad though. It is good that this happen as I got a refresher on linux administration commands (RHCT level).
- Basic commands like copying, moving and deleting file
- checking disk space (df -h)
- start single user mode and setting root password
- Create tar backup
- installing package
- deleting kernel and editing grub menu