The easier way to install self-hosted WordPress on my host is using autoinstallers provided available in cPanel like Fantastico, Softaculous,etc but I want to experience manual installation just to see how complicated it is. It seems not too difficult. Probably my installation was smooth sailing. No issues encountered. Successful in the first attempt.
I referenced instructions from here:
This is what i did:
- Get the wordpress files from WordPress download page. v3.5 as of this writing. I downloaded the .zip file into my computer.
- Extract the .zip file in my computer.
- I logged in to my web hosting cpanel to create a database for the new wordpress installation. Using the MySQL Database wizard,
- Create New Database
- Create New User and add this new user to the New Database
- I go into the folder where I extracted the file and rename wp-config sample.php to wp-config.php
- I edit wp-config.php. I substituted the database details details. I leave the rest as it is.
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
/** MySQL database username */
/** MySQL database password */
- Upload the wordpress files to my web hosting. I placed it to the root of my domain.
- Using a browser, I open my wordpress install page www.mydomainname.com/wp-admin/install.php. On this page, i entered a title for my blog site, user name and password. These will be use to access my wordpress dashboard.
That’s it. I’m done. I have installed wordpress manually.